Unable to mount partition with ntfs-3g
Kevin Oberman
2008-02-08 21:51:25 UTC
I would love to be able to mount my NTFS partition R/W, but the FreeBSD
NTFS support is read-only (or almost read-only), so I installed
fusefs-ntfs which I thought would allow this.

After installation (which also pulled in fusefs-kmod, fusefs-libs, and
libublio), I added fusefs_enable="yes" to my rc.conf. Then, after
starting fusefs (which means loading the fuse kernel module), I tried:
# mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/ad0s1 /C
mount: /dev/ad0 : Operation not supported by device

I got the same message for a USB drive on /dev/da0.

Documentation on ntfs-3g is pretty limited. Did I miss something? I
really rather not convert my new USB disk to FAT32 if I don't have to.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
Key fingerprint:059B 2DDF 031C 9BA3 14A4 EADA 927D EBB3 987B 3751
Manolis Kiagias
2008-02-08 21:57:53 UTC
Post by Kevin Oberman
I would love to be able to mount my NTFS partition R/W, but the FreeBSD
NTFS support is read-only (or almost read-only), so I installed
fusefs-ntfs which I thought would allow this.
After installation (which also pulled in fusefs-kmod, fusefs-libs, and
libublio), I added fusefs_enable="yes" to my rc.conf. Then, after
# mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/ad0s1 /C
mount: /dev/ad0 : Operation not supported by device
I got the same message for a USB drive on /dev/da0.
Documentation on ntfs-3g is pretty limited. Did I miss something? I
really rather not convert my new USB disk to FAT32 if I don't have to.
try using the ntfs-3g command directly:

ntfs-3g /dev/ad0s1 /C
Dominic Fandrey
2008-02-08 22:11:37 UTC
Post by Kevin Oberman
I would love to be able to mount my NTFS partition R/W, but the FreeBSD
NTFS support is read-only (or almost read-only), so I installed
fusefs-ntfs which I thought would allow this.
After installation (which also pulled in fusefs-kmod, fusefs-libs, and
libublio), I added fusefs_enable="yes" to my rc.conf. Then, after
# mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/ad0s1 /C
mount: /dev/ad0 : Operation not supported by device
I got the same message for a USB drive on /dev/da0.
Documentation on ntfs-3g is pretty limited. Did I miss something? I
really rather not convert my new USB disk to FAT32 if I don't have to.
mount only calls a couple of file systems in the old fashioned way. One of
them is ntfs. What I did to be able to mount NTFS systems with mount -t
(obligatory if you want to use fstab to mount), I did the following:

# mv /sbin/mount_ntfs /sbin/mount_ntfs.bak
# ln -s /usr/sbin/mount_ntfs-3g /sbin/mount_ntfs

This is one of my /etc/fstab entries
/dev/ntfs/2vault /mnt/vault ntfs rw,late,gid=5,umask=113,dmask=002 0 0
Kevin Oberman
2008-02-08 23:14:03 UTC
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 23:11:37 +0100
Post by Kevin Oberman
[...]
Cool! This is exactly what I was looking for. Since mount_ntfs-3g was
installed, I assumed that it would work with nmount, but I guess not.

Thanks very much! I think that this will solve all of my ntfs issues for
a while.
Dominic Fandrey
Just remember that you have to recreate the link after you do an installworld.
Kevin Oberman
2008-02-09 00:16:57 UTC
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 00:19:26 +0100
Post by Kevin Oberman
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 23:11:37 +0100
Post by Kevin Oberman
[...]
Yes. I already have to do this for other modified stuff. (I install a
new world about every other week.)

Thanks again,
Dominic Fandrey
2008-02-18 14:17:47 UTC
[...]