vi errors... unable to edit my .shrc file
Bsd Neophyte
2002-08-23 22:19:43 UTC
i get the following error when trying to edit my .shrc file:

-------------------
$ vi .shrc
ex/vi: Error: /var/tmp/vi.recover: Permission denied
ex/vi: Modifications not recoverable if the session fails
ex/vi: Error: .shrc: Permission denied
ex/vi: Error: Unable to create temporary file: Permission denied
-------------------

does this have anything to do with the fact i don't have var and tmp
slices? i used the method in greg lehey's book in creating symbolic links
instead of having hard partitions.

i tried looking in the archives for a solution, but i didn't find
anything.

as always, any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

-Sameer

Doug Silver
2002-08-23 22:35:04 UTC
Post by Bsd Neophyte
-------------------
$ vi .shrc
ex/vi: Error: /var/tmp/vi.recover: Permission denied
ex/vi: Modifications not recoverable if the session fails
ex/vi: Error: .shrc: Permission denied
ex/vi: Error: Unable to create temporary file: Permission denied
-------------------
does this have anything to do with the fact i don't have var and tmp
slices? i used the method in greg lehey's book in creating symbolic links
instead of having hard partitions.
i tried looking in the archives for a solution, but i didn't find
anything.
as always, any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
-Sameer
Make sure the symlinks from /var/tmp are correct and the permissions are
like this:
drwxrwxrwt 3 root wheel 512 Aug 23 15:31 tmp/

If not, do a "chmod 1777 /var/tmp" (for example) to fix it.

/var/tmp/vi.recover should have the same permissions too.

Doug Silver
619 235-2665
Network Manager
Urchin Software Corp. http://www.urchin.com
Bsd Neophyte
2002-08-23 23:33:44 UTC
Post by Doug Silver
Make sure the symlinks from /var/tmp are correct and the permissions are
drwxrwxrwt 3 root wheel 512 Aug 23 15:31 tmp/
If not, do a "chmod 1777 /var/tmp" (for example) to fix it.
/var/tmp/vi.recover should have the same permissions too.
this is what i was going to do... but someone said this would cause
problems because it would allow others to delete tmp files that did not
belong to them.

should i go ahead and to it anyways?

-Sameer

Doug Silver
2002-08-24 00:13:24 UTC
Post by Bsd Neophyte
Post by Doug Silver
Make sure the symlinks from /var/tmp are correct and the permissions are
drwxrwxrwt 3 root wheel 512 Aug 23 15:31 tmp/
If not, do a "chmod 1777 /var/tmp" (for example) to fix it.
/var/tmp/vi.recover should have the same permissions too.
this is what i was going to do... but someone said this would cause
problems because it would allow others to delete tmp files that did not
belong to them.
should i go ahead and to it anyways?
-Sameer
By definition, the tmp area is a world writable scratch
directory. General users would not be able to remove files owned by other
users unless the file permissions allowed them to. Also, a lot of
programs count on permissions to be set a certain way, which you just
found out that vi is one of them. So yes, change the permissions on /tmp,
/usr/tmp, /var/tmp to be 1777.

C. A. Daelhousen
2002-08-24 02:37:09 UTC
Post by Bsd Neophyte
Post by Doug Silver
Make sure the symlinks from /var/tmp are correct and the permissions are
drwxrwxrwt 3 root wheel 512 Aug 23 15:31 tmp/
If not, do a "chmod 1777 /var/tmp" (for example) to fix it.
/var/tmp/vi.recover should have the same permissions too.
this is what i was going to do... but someone said this would cause
problems because it would allow others to delete tmp files that did not
belong to them.
Note the leading '1' on the chmod permissions. That's the "sticky" bit,
which means (for directories) that only the owner of a file in that
directory can delete it. (Of course, root can, too.)

For instance:

drwxrwxrwt (note final t: that's stickiness) -- /var/tmp
-rw------- dragon wheel some_file
-rw------- chris users another_file

Despite the directory being world-writable, dragon can't delete
another_file, and chris can't delete some_file. This is caused by the
sticky bit.

Go forth and find a good UNIX permissions tutorial.
--
..: Chad Daelhousen == ***@buffalo.edu :.........: sig v3.1 :...
: Programming for 10 +/- 2 years (50 +/- 10% of a lifetime) :

Brian T. Schellenberger
2002-08-23 22:48:51 UTC
On Friday 23 August 2002 06:19 pm, Bsd Neophyte wrote:
| i get the following error when trying to edit my .shrc file:
|
| -------------------
| $ vi .shrc
| ex/vi: Error: /var/tmp/vi.recover: Permission denied
| ex/vi: Modifications not recoverable if the session fails
| ex/vi: Error: .shrc: Permission denied
| ex/vi: Error: Unable to create temporary file: Permission denied
| -------------------
|
| does this have anything to do with the fact i don't have var and tmp
| slices? i used the method in greg lehey's book in creating symbolic
| links instead of having hard partitions.

Symbolic links to where? To a partition that isn't mounted, perhaps?

Brian, the man from Babble-On . . . . ***@babbleon.org (personal)

Bsd Neophyte
2002-08-23 22:52:39 UTC
Post by Brian T. Schellenberger
Symbolic links to where? To a partition that isn't mounted, perhaps?
this is what it looks like:

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 8 Aug 3 02:23 tmp -> /usr/tmp
drwxr-xr-x 18 root wheel 512 Aug 3 02:23 usr
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 8 Aug 3 02:22 var -> /usr/var

is this wrong?

-Sameer

Ken McGlothlen
2002-08-24 00:16:07 UTC
Bsd Neophyte <***@yahoo.com> writes:

| --- "Brian T. Schellenberger" <***@babbleon.org> wrote:
|
| > Symbolic links to where? To a partition that isn't mounted, perhaps?
|
| this is what it looks like:

| lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 8 Aug 3 02:23 tmp -> /usr/tmp
| drwxr-xr-x 18 root wheel 512 Aug 3 02:23 usr
| lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 8 Aug 3 02:22 var -> /usr/var
|
| is this wrong?

Do /usr/tmp and /usr/var actually exist? If so, what are *their* permissions?

Unix Tools
2002-08-24 21:13:19 UTC
chmod -R 777 /var/tmp
This should help you